FOOTBALL ace Christian Atsu has been found dead 12 days after the Turkey earthquake, his agent confirmed today.
The 31-year-old Black Star’s, ex-Newcastle and Chelsea player was caught up in the devastating 7.8-magnitude quake that rocked Turkey and Syria, killing more than 43,000 people in both countries.
He went missing after his home in Kahramanmaras was destroyed by the devastating quake and rescuers have been searching for him for the last 12 days.
His agent confirmed his body was tragically discovered in the rubble on Saturday.
“Atsu’s lifeless body was found under the rubble,” Murat Uzunmehmet told reporters in Hatay, where the athlete’s body was found.
“Currently, more items are still being taken out. His phone was also found.”
Atsu had plunged from the ninth floor of the building after it collapsed, his agent initially said.
There were initial reports he had been rescued a day after the quake, but these turned out to be false.
Earlier footage showed rescuers with search lights sifting through the wreckage of Atsu’s apartment block on the first night of the natural disaster.
His voice was then heard in the rubble, along with that of Hatayspor’s Sporting Director Taner Savut, local media reported.
Atsu had been scheduled to fly out of Turkey hours before the quake.
But Hatayspor’s manager said the Ghanaian opted to stay with the club after scoring the game-winning goal in a February 5 Super Lig match.
The massive 7.8 magnitude quake stuck early on Monday, February 6, and killed more than 33,000 people in Turkey and Syria.
Two further earthquakes struck in the 24 hours after the initial tremor, leaving a trail of destruction.
Credit: The Sun Sports